Research & Consultancy
We have a strong focus on Research and Development, to stay at the fore-front of developments in Maritime Technology and to apply the latest innovations in our ship designs and consultancy services. Innovation is considered to be an elementary part of a Conoship-design: the most proper and beneficial way to distinguish our new designs from existing vessels. Most of our new vessels are based on ‘proven designs’ but are always designed to achieve a great added valve, for example new ‘eCONOlogical©’ improvement of operational issues. We believe that all of our newly gained experience should lead to further optimization, if possible in logical solutions that combine ‘eCONOmy & eCOlogy’. Saving both money and the environment is what we consider ‘eCONOlogical’, with applications for example in:
- Fuel-saving aftship-design ‘ConoDuctTail©’, based on integrated CFD-analysis.
- Wind-assisted propulsion with ‘eCONOwind© Unit’, easy to fit on existing cargo vessels, leading to fuel-savings of 20 to 40%.
- Slow-steaming ‘eCONOprop’-analysis, to investigate possible fuel-savings at (reduced) eco-speed by adapting the propulsion-system of existing vessels.
- LNG-propulsion for Dredgers and Short Sea Shipping.
With our department ‘Conoship Research & Consultancy’, we initiate and participate in various research projects for Conoship International, partners and clients, both on regional (INterReg Northern Netherlands & Germany), national and European level in the Horizon 2020-program. Our aim in these R&D-projects is contribute to the development of prototypes and apply the innovations in the new designs for our ‘early adapting clients’. In EU-projects we cooperate with Dutch partners such as MARIN (Maritime Research Institute), TNO and Delft University of Technology and European partners like Rolls Royce, Wärtsilä, Lloyds Register, Meyer Werft and many others.
Conoship Research & Consultancy is searching and developing knowledge and knowhow in a range of various disciplines, for example:
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) analysis for hull lines optimization.
- Hazard Identification (HAZID) studies and Failure Mode Effect Critical Analysis (FMECA) for LNG applications in vessels.
- Feasibility studies for LNG, Methanol, Scrubber, SCR, Hydrogen applications for fleet owners.
- Fleet development strategies and new ship-concept-development for shipowners.
- Propeller design and optimization in relation to hull design, considering aspects like ventilation, Ice class & Polar Class design.
- Wind assisted propulsion for cargo ships, both developing the eCONOwind©-unit and the related aspects of stability, trim and drift.
- Draught and deadweight increase of existing general cargo vessels by application of new load line regulations and probabilistic damage stability.
- ‘Hatchcoverless’ studies for newbuilt and existing general cargo and project cargo vessels, supported by model testing.
Our goal is to spot, develop and create new knowledge, innovations and possible applications for the Maritime Industry to provide our challenging clients with the best possible solutions for their new designs.